Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sanctus Ivo erat Brito, Advocatus


Justina brought my attention to this saint...

Saint Ivo (or Ives, Yves, Yvo) - patron saint of lawyers and advocate for the poor.

Sanctus Ivo erat Brito,
Advocatus, et non latro
Res miranda populo


which means...

Saint Yvo was a Breton and a lawyer,
But not dishonest -
An astonishing thing in people's eyes


another site translates it this way...

St. Ives was from the land of beef,
a lawyer, and not a thief;
a stretch on popular belief.

(ha ha)

I think I should get an Ivo medallion. He seems pretty awesome.

more info here

2 comments:

Justina said...

I bought you a postcard of the painting I saw at the National Gallery (it's better than the one you posted, in my opinion). I doubt I'll mail it though, so you have something to look forward to on April 22... obviously the postcard will be what you are most looking forward to.

Sarah said...

obviously.