Saturday, August 2, 2008

Folkin'


I went to the Calgary Folk Fest last weekend with Colin and Becky. We met up with Becky's friend Celine who arranged shelter for us for the weekend, that was nice.


Friday
We arrived on Friday, missing the Thursday show which included Amiee Mann and Sam Roberts, what-can-ya-do-?, just in time for Great Lake Swimmers and Bill Callahan. Becky and Colin like Mr. Callahan a lot more than I do, but it was still entertaining. And the GLSs are just lovely.

They were playing a side show from the main stage so once they were done we moved to the main area. At that point it was hard to find a decent spot, but Becky, as she did throughout the weekend, searched the crowd for a little patch where the 3 or 4 of us could perch. Even if you are far away, the large screens allow you to see everything on stage up close, just not so personal(ly).

On the mainstage was Andrew Bird and Calexico. (And Bedouin Soundclash but we didn't stay for them. Not our scene.) Andrew Bird is amazing. His mainstage show was great as were the workshops he participated in on Saturday. Such big sound from so few people. A what a whistler.

I had only really heard Calexico's music in conjunction with Iron and Wine (who I love) so I didn't know what to expect. Their sound is like their name, Southwest/Latin American. They sang about some political issues, especially the immigration issue in the US. I like that and it's part of what draws me to folk fests.

That night it took us a while to find our respective sleeping places, but we did in the end and were thankful for a free place to rest.

Saturday
Saturday we claimed our spot in front of the mainstage then went off to enjoy the workshops. Our first was Andrew Bird, Hawk and a Hacksaw (Hungarian music lead by the former drummer of Neutral Milk Hotel), and the Master Musicians of Jajouka from Morocco. The Moroccans seemed to only play one tune (to my untrained ears?) and when they joined in on the other's songs they couldn't help but dominate, even so, the music was so full and great. Best of all, one drummer danced a lot and hammed it up for the camera and was so thoroughly entertaining. He had some amazing moves; great butt wiggling.

This was followed by a concert by Wendy McNeill. She tells great stories and is oh so cute.

Later on we again saw Andrew Bird, Hawk and a Hacksaw, Calexico, and Bill Callahan. This was maybe the best workshop of the weekend (that we saw). When they all played together it was amazing. Such talented musicians that can pick up on the song and add something wonderful.

While the late morning and early afternoon was ridiculously hot and sunny, it started to rain later in the afternoon. We huddled under Becky's umbrella and under the tarp. We got wet, Colin especially, but the rain didn't last too long. It ended during Josh Ritter's set on the mainstage. I really love Josh Ritter. I've blogged about this before. Thankfully, his set wasn't too short, but I still could have handled more from him. He is always smiling when he plays and looks to be having so much fun. He and his band don't seem to take themselves too seriously. I find Josh so adorable and, right now, he can't seem to do any wrong in my eyes. I'm not usually so taken with someone and feel a little foolish about my true love for Mr. Ritter. Oh well.

The Duhks (pronounced ducks) played next and though I'm not really crazy about their style of music and doubt I would listen to it much on my own, they are really talented. Their main singer has a heck of voice. So, they were pretty impressive and entertaining. The rest of the night didn't really move me but it was fun being there. The night ended with Blue Rodeo who I have never really been taken by but many other people certainly are taken by them. They seem a little adult contemporary to me (?). So it was fun being surrounded by a lot of people who were really excited and I don't dislike them so it was a good time all-in-all.

Sunday
I woke up pretty sore on Sunday. I had sat on the hard ground the whole day before. I wasn't totally looking forward to another day of sitting but knew the music would be good. We stated off at a workshop involving Basia Bulat (the hottest new thing in the folk-rock world and oh so cute), GLS, Julie Doiron (also oh so cute), and Sam Parton from the Be Good Tanyas (who's mainstage concert we missed on Friday while listening to Bill Callahan). They didn't play together as much as some of the performers on Saturday but they each played lovely music of their own.

A Kara Keith concert followed. I think that she might be my favourite find of the weekend. I wasn't familiar with her before but think I will really like to listen to her music. She has a new album in the works that should be super fun. She and Becky had a little conversation from the stage. It was special.

After this, I separated from Becky and Colin and listened to a Woodpigeon concert with Celine. I like them. Then I went to get some food and walk around a bit. I left Celine with the tarp and forgot that she was leaving to meet some friends so when I returned I couldn't find her or our tarp. I was a little overwhelmed with being alone. Eventually I found Colin and Becky and could relax again.

While we half-heartedly watch So Called there was a huge thunderclap. We found out later that lightening had struck a tree on the island. That's a little scary.

Next, we watched a Julie Doiron concert from underneath the tarp, at least at first, then it stopped raining. We all really like her and think she's adorable on stage. It was a highlight of the weekend. Then, we finished the day off with a too short Basia Bulat concert.

At the mainstage we had a pretty good spot, just parallel to the jumbo screens so we could still see them but also see the stage. The Sparrow Quartet was entertaining. Bela Fleck plays with them. They play Appalachian music and Chinese folk songs. Good combo.

Connor Oberst followed with his latest incarnation, the Mystic Valley Band. He is now playing blue collar rock of sorts. I liked it. He is looking older and fuller in the face and was sporting a little scruff. He and his band wore matching jackets. How cute.

And that was that. We left after Connor and didn't stay for Ani Difranco, though I would have liked to hear her, (my friend Elspeth saw her in Edmonton and said it was amazing) because Becky and Colin had to work early the next morning and I was planning on driving all the way to Drayton. I ended up staying in the city for the night and driving back in the morning, though I'm not sure how I made it to work on time.

I kinda feel like I haven't hung out with Colin for years. After he moved to Victoria and since he's been back we haven't hung out in a smaller group for an extended period of time, so it was nice to have some quality-ish time. And Becky is always great to hang out with. I am so thankful for her out-going-ness. I need someone like that to off-set my self-consciousness. All in all, a really great weekend. Exhausting, but great.

No comments: